Physical Benefits of a Vegan Diet
This is the third in a series of posts regarding why you should consider becoming Vegan. If you already are Vegan you can use this information to help convince your loved ones or those close to you to adopt the lifestyle. In the first post of the series we covered the nutritional benefits of Veganism. In post #2 we highlighted the disease prevention benefits. Today we are going to get physical and point out some of the Vegan diets beneficial impacts on our bodies.
- Body Mass Index (BMI) – is used as an indicator or healthy weight. You can calculate your personal BMI on various websites. I use www.runnersworld.com/bmi. You don’t want a BMI which is too high or too low. A Vegan diet helps in getting you into the proper range for you height and weight and, more importantly, keeping it there.
- Weight Loss – Adopting a Vegan lifestyle means you will be eliminating most of the unhealthy foods that make you fat.
- Increased Energy – from personal experience I can tell you this is a fact. I have more energy now (I am almost 50) than I did 20 years ago. I am up earlier, work out more, am more mentally sharp and have an overall improved desire to do more with my day than I have had possibly ever.
- Healthy skin – nuts and vitamins A and E from vegetables play a big role in healthy skin, so Vegans will usually have good skin health. Many people who switch to a Vegan diet will notice a remarkable reduction in blemishes as well.
- Longer life/Better Health – this is my #1 reason for adopting a Vegan diet. Refer back to the post regarding Disease Prevention Benefits of Vegan Diet. When speaking with others I almost always refer to this outcome of Veganism. Who doesn’t want to be healthier and live longer? Think of all the money you will save on prescriptions and trips to the doc!
- Body Odor – Eliminating dairy and red meat from the diet significantly reduces body odor. Going Vegan means smelling better.
- Bad Breath. Vegans frequently experience a reduction in bad breath. Imagine waking up in the morning and not having morning breath.
- Hair – Many who follow Vegan diets report that their hair becomes stronger, has more body, and looks healthier.
- Nails – Healthy Vegan diets are also responsible for much stronger, healthier nails. Nail health is said to be an indicator of overall health.
- PMS – When switching to a Vegan diet, many women tell how PMS symptoms become much less intense or disappear altogether. The elimination of dairy is thought to help with those suffering with PMS.
- Migraines – Migraine suffers who go on Vegan diets frequently discover relief from their migraines.
- Allergies – Reduction in dairy, meat, and eggs is often tied to alleviation of allergy symptoms. Many Vegans report much fewer runny noses and congestion problems.
The more research I do on Veganism the more benefits I come up with. These twelve start a list I will keep updated for you. If you have any personal experiences with Veganism which elicited benefits not mentioned here drop me a line and let me know. I will mention you in a future post when we talk about nutrition and health.